Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Irons

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Irons

Callaway Golf has weight distribution technology. The Tunite cradle allows 77% of the mass to be positioned around the extreme perimeter of the iron for ultra-high MOI and a low, deep CG; the TPU SenSert helps reduce vibration for great feel, plus eliminating the hollow sound and feel of an oversized cavity-back for a crisp, responsive sound; the lightweight 6-4 titanium face insert is 22% lighter than a comparable steel face allowing the weight to be distributed around the perimeter for faster ball speed.

[May 29, 2021]
ceceliafredrick

Strength:

These clubs are incredible. They hit very solid. When you miss, you can tell where you miss but you are not severely punished. Great game improvement clubs. I hit every GI iron under the sun before buying these and I'm 100% confident I bought the best GI clubs on the market. Louisville Hood Cleaning

Weakness:

No negatives, all round excellent club.

Purchased:
New
[Nov 08, 2012]
Captain Insano
Model Reviewed: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Irons

I'm an admitted hacker, always looking for a way to buy a game. My clubs were stolen out of my car trunk, and with two kids in college, I didn't have much to spend on a new set of clubs. I found a used set (4-a) of Fusion irons at Roger Dunn for $140. Best money I ever spent. They're not the longest irons, but are very accurate and very forgiving. They probably are a little shorter than my (stolen) TM r7's, but I've found them to be much more reliable. These irons originally sold for $1100-1200, so to find a set for about 1/10th of the original price was OK with me. Plus, they look pretty cool, and the vibration insert really does help on mis-hits.

Taylormade r7
Ping i3

[Apr 17, 2012]
david buchanan
Model Reviewed: Callaway Fusion Irons

I paid $1500 for my set of Callaway Fusion Irons and was happy to have finally purchase what I thought was a top of the line set of clubs. Great clubs at the start but I am very disappointed with the end result. I only play in the summer as I live in Canada where the golf season is May-Sept at best. Fusion is an understatement as after three seasons of play the head of my 3 and then 7 iron literally came flying off the shaft, nearly wounding other playing partners. The clubs I thought would last me for years lasted just past their very short warranty of 2 years??? I would not recommend these clubs and will never purchase Callaway products again. I am very disappointed and disheartened as I am an avid golfer and feel like I have been ripped off.

Callaway has offered to repair the set for $50 a club - not a cheap investment the second time around. I'm not impressed with their customer service and have been told by the outlet I purchased the clubs from that Callaway customer service and/or warranty is not as good as their competators - Titlest, Taylor Made and Nike.

Titlest - best irons I have ever played with. Sorry I ever purchased with Callaway.

[Jun 18, 2010]
Dexter Haven
Model Reviewed: Callaway ERC Fusion Irons

On paper these irons have all the buzzwords: titanium face, tunite cradle, etc. But don't be seduced. These irons are not nearly as good as Callaway irons of a decade ago. They are not as long nor playable as Great Big Bertha tungsten titanium irons nor as good as Big Bertha 2002 irons. Drivers and fairway woods have come along way in the past decade, but I'm not so sure the same is true of irons. The fact is Callaway couldn't produce the GBB tungsten titanium irons because now because they'd just be too expensive. But they are so well made in the fashion of Ping Eye2 irons, that they represent a real bargain in the used market. They are much, much better than the ERC Fusions.

Never needed it.

Callaway X-14, pro series 12s, Big Bertha 2002s, 2006s. Nickent 3DX, Nickent 4DX, Ping Eye2, Eye3, G2, S59 and G10.

[Jan 06, 2010]
Roy W
Model Reviewed: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

This is an outstanding set of clubs, both aesthetically and in performance. The Fusion irons have a much cleaner top-line than any previous versions of Big Berthas, and this is what I prefer as it gives me more confidence at address. The stock uniflex shaft seems to just work for me, as regular flex shafts are usually too whippy to me, but I don't swing fast enough for a true stiff either.

My game was tailing off a bit after several years of hitting Mizuno MX-17s (which I loved), and now it is back to where it was. I recommend this club to everyone.

Haven't had to use them. They do send free personalized club labels after registering on their website.

Mizuno MX-17, Taylormade Burner, Ping Eye 2

[Nov 09, 2009]
JP Jones
Model Reviewed: Big Bertha Fusion

I got the Fusion irons because of previous good luck with Callaway irons, X14's. They are nice sticks, but I am not sure that they are as nice as the x series irons. They scratch really easy for a $1k set of irons and they are shorter than other irons that I own.

Callaway has great customer service and stands behind their products.

Callaway X-14, Mizuno MX-19, and Ping G2

[Aug 23, 2009]
jjloans
Model Reviewed: Fusion

Mine are Uniflex Nippon...

Nice irons! Very forgiving, nice pop off the faces, shafts are fine. A bit too much offset, but that is OK for a super game improvement iron.

I would probably stick with my X-14 Pro Series, or the X-18 Pros, but for what this iron is trying to do for the guy looking for max forgiveness and improvement, great stuff.

The original pricing was too much for what it is, as other max improvement irons were a better deal (like the MacGregor NVG2 or the Taylor RAC Ht's), but now that they are getting reasonable, they are well worth a look.

Callaway always seems to have that extra pop off the face... the Ti faces on these are VERY durable too.

The best, along with Ping.

Everything. I was disappointed in the latest Mizuno offerings in game improvement... have a set of the Rapture V2's on the way. Try MANY sets before buying, the subtle differences mean a ton in fitting YOUR game and feel... Skoal!

[Aug 19, 2009]
mark
Model Reviewed: big bertha fusion

I just started playing golf again at the end of last season after a long lay off of several years. Since starting again i've tried many sets of irons, usually going for super game improvement sets but they just never felt right and very inconsistent for me. I read about the fusions a few months ago but i couldn't find a set for a reasonable price. The last set i was playing before these were 2006 big berthas with graphite shafts. Again i think these had too much offset and the graphite shafts were hard to control so i decided to go back to steel shafts which is what i learned to play with originally. I was going to buy a set of the fusions on ebay but i lucked out and found a set (after calling around) at a local golf galaxy. They put them on hold for me and i bought them after getting to try them. Btw, their price was on par with ebay, very competively priced.

These irons are great. the heads are smaller, less offset, but i can hit them longer and straighter than any other game improvement irons. They look great and really are easy to hit, even the long irons. I dropped my 3H from my bag because the 3 iron in this set rocks. For me another club that stands out is the pw. I only use it in the fairway as i use my forged wedges around the greens but it is deadly accurate and i can put some real spin on it. I can usually check it to within a foot of where the ball lands. I wish i had bought these irons sooner. These are just the perfect fit for me, i think they can really help me unlock my potential as my scores continue to drop. I paid 300.00 for my set and i think thats a steal.

never used always hear good things

big bertha 1994
big bertha 2006
hawkeye vft

[Aug 12, 2009]
KarlsonHK
Model Reviewed: Callaway FT Fusion irons

As sub five handicap for over 30 years I have always been a blades man but recently got persuaded to try the the new generation of cavity irons. I have tested the Taylormade & Titleist offerings but chose the Callaway FT Fusions intially for their blade look without too much offset.
Fitted with my usual Flighted Rifle shafts I was not disappointed. These are excellent clubs, very easy to hit and forgiving. When calibrating my yardages on the range they are 5 - 8 yards longer than my Titleist 695MB dependant on club but more importantly closer grouped in distance and spread. Every shot has a very solid feel.
Their only downside (besides the price!) is they don't seem to spin the ball laterally or generate so much backspin. Difficult to shape shots but stopping power is not a huge issue due to the higher flight.
Overall great clubs but I think Callaway have a difficult job justifying the premium price. If you want the best unfortunately you have to pay for it!!

Ordered custom fit from factory and received to my exact specifications

Taylormade R7 TP, Titleist 695MB, Callaway X Forged.

[Jul 10, 2009]
Jim Stoutmeyer
Model Reviewed: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Irons (4-PW)

I have only been golfing for five years. I decided long ago that Callaway's were going to be my clubs. I most recently was shooting with Hawkeye Irons. Those were traded in for the Big Bertha Fusion Irons. Although the clubheads were smaller, I've found them to progress with my game wonderfully.
I will reiterate that a pure shot with them is like "butter!" I'll be using these irons for a few more years...at least. Even my mis-hits show much forgiveness. These irons have become familiar and a step forward in my progression towards lower scores.
I have learned so much while using these irons! My confidance has grown through much practice and solid ball-striking.
I've got a Lincoln LS that runs smooth no matter what. These clubs are in the same class!
Maybe someday I will upgrade...but, for now, I am completely satisfied with my progress with these irons. If I could only learn how to hit my 3H as smooth as these irons.

Callaway Customer Service is second to none. This is the company that I will rely on to improve my game over the years. I have participated in the "Trade-In" program, and they took care of me. I will be a Callaway golfer for the next 40 years!