Cobra SS-i Oversized Irons

SS-i Oversized

B   Shoots in the 80s [May 24, 2013]
Model Reviewed: Cobra SSi Irons

I started out over a decade ago with an old set of low budget irons. I occasionaly bought a club here and a club there (irons) and got a feel for numerous different clubs from various manufacturers. My last set was an older set of KC oversize II irons. Loved them but I have always had problems hitting any iron from about a 6 iron up. Not so with these SSi irons. I reluctantly sold the oversize 2 irons, (PW through 7 was excellent and very accurate), reshafted my SSi's to graphite and I am done looking!! These despite their age will remain in my bag for a long time. They have a great feel and give me confidence, even with the 4 iron. I am convinced that Cobra is the King of developing game improvement clubs for weekend golfers like me, and nearly every club in my bag now is Cobra. I have a couple Cobra FP irons and have wanted a set of them for a long time, but I am so satisfied with the SSi's that I dont care anymore, I think they are very close to being the same club as FP's save appearances.

Dunno.. Dont care. Used Cobras are affordable and can run with the best.

Similar Products Used: Nike, Callaway, Ping, Orlimar, and various off brands. King Cobra rocks!
Tom   Shoots in the 80s [Aug 11, 2012]
Model Reviewed: cobra ss-i

I've tried different irons but I strongly recommend these! They are versatile,precise and fit hi-cappers,as well as skilled golfers.
Very solid clubs , with a great feeling indeed.

achase   Shoots in the 100s [Aug 04, 2012]
Model Reviewed: cobra ssi irons

I also bought these clubs in the early 2000s; was trying several different sets at the time, but seemed to hit these the best. I bent my PW and my wife sent the club back to Cobra, and they made it as good as new...these clubs are durable and it will be hard to think about buying another set of irons.

Jim   Shoots in the 80s [Jul 09, 2010]
Model Reviewed: Cobra SSi Irons

I purchased these new back in 2003 and still have and play them. I was fitted for them and cannot believe how they improved my game. I consistently have maintained a 9 to 10 handicap with them and shot an all time low of 74 about 3 months ago. They have signs of wear and tear and I have little doubt that soon enough I am going to have to trade them in, sell them, or simply replace them, but for now I am hitting them with power, consistency, and distance.
These irons, for early oversized, give a lot of feedback. They were made in the same Acushnet factory where Titleist irons are made and the quality is obvious. The fact that 7 years after I bought them they are still going strong speaks volumes about their durability and construction.
These clubs are not "playable"; in other words don't buy these if you work the ball. Better golfers could not possibly gain anything from such "game improvement irons". (which is what I am thinking about moving up to in order to take my game to the next level.
The sum of these clubs is simple; I am pushing 50 and can hit my 7 iron about 155 with a nice draw. I hit my 3 about 200 so the spread is fairly even at about 5 to 10 yards difference per.
If you are a fairly new golfer and are looking for some clubs that might improve your game, look for some of these used online. For under $100 you can get yourself one heck of a set of irons!

My 6 iron came apart about 5 months after I took delivery. Cobra repaired the iron and brought it back to like-new condition.

Similar Products Used: I tested every brand on the market at the time. In the end it was between these and the Callaway. These were under half the cost at the time.
pmgolf   Shoots in the 80s [Jan 05, 2010]
Model Reviewed: Cobra SSi-OS Irons

Played with graphite shaft SSi's and steel shaft SSi's. The extra weight of the steel helps make my swing more consistent. Great clubhead, big sweetspot. Higher flight than many other irons. Very forgiving and easy to hit. Big sweetspot! I hit straight shots, so I can't speak to working the ball. I have never had trouble with a head coming off. Great clubs!

Similar Products Used: Callaway X-20
bluedevilking1891   Shoots in the 80s [May 02, 2007]
Model Reviewed: Cobra SSi OS

These are great irons. They have a nice large face and have a nice conventional look. They have really helped my ball striking and I got them for a great price, $140. I probably wouldn't choose any irons over these.

davmay   Shoots in the 70s [Jun 04, 2006]
Model Reviewed: Cobra ss-i Irons

With a reasonably small budget to play with, i decided upon purchasing some second-hand irons on eBay. As a lefty its never easy to try out let alone purchase goods from shops nearby. Having played woth these irons for 12months now, i have been recognised as one of the biggest iron players at my golf club, and over the last 6months have pulled my handicap for 26 to 9.
AN ABSOLUTE BARGAIN! make a purchase!

Similar Products Used: I tried the Callaway X-14's out at my local golf club, and came to the conlcusion that they were far less effecive than the Cobra's and less accurate (dont go by the brand name guys!)
Coletrain71   Shoots in the 90s [May 22, 2006]
Model Reviewed: Cobra SSI

I got these clubs a little over a year ago when I traded in my TA-7s and it was the best decision I've made to date regarding irons. I get the same low vibration feel on off center hits with some actual distance!! I can't really understand why these clubs never really took off in the market, but they are solid. I can hit textbook draws with these irons. I'm not a left to right guy so I can't speak on a fade with these. If you're in the 80s on up, give these a try.

Similar Products Used: Ta7s among others.
Dangerous Dan   Shoots in the 80s [Dec 10, 2004]

Recently put these in my bag and have never played better. I ususlly shoot about 84 and after 4 rounds with these baby's I have broken 80 twice. Very accurate and longer than most other irons. I have considerable arthritis and these irons with graphite shafts have helped me swing easier and smoother. I would highly reccommend these to ANYONE! I have played many other irons. Most recently Ping G2's. These Cobra's outplay them all! These will be in my bag for years to come. I, like most golfers, want to play the same irons the pro's play but are not nearly skilled enough to play them. Forget your pride and get the Cobra's. Your score card will thank you.