Ping i3 Blade Irons

[Aug 25, 2009]
Spud08
Model Reviewed: Ping i3 red dot Blades

Hello,
My name is Tim and I live in the panhandle area of Florida. I have been playing golf for a little over 22 years. I played the last 21 years with only three sets of clubs, my first set – Andy Beam Classic Blades, A knock of set of cavity backs, and Taylor Made Burners. I switched to Ping i3 Blades red dots at the beginning of this year. The clubs where custom fitted to my swing – and preferred desired action. I like to hit my irons high and have the abilities to shape my shoots whether from left-right or a slight draw right-left. These clubs are very well balanced. They deliver a great feel and performance feedback like no other club I have used in the past. The accuracy of these clubs is remarkable, and the distance control is perfect. I hit my LW 68 yrds, SW 73 to 82 yrds, UW 85 to 95 yrds, PW 100 to 110, 9 iron 124 to 128, 8 iron 130 to 138, 7 iron 145 to 157. These are the primary clubs I use in any given round of golf. I do carry my 6 and 5 irons in my bag but primarily only use them when I find myself in trouble in the ruff. My club selection will vary on the type of course I am playing as well, don’t get me wrong, I love my 3 iron and I hit it right around 220 to 230 yrds. Ping has made great clubs for many years and I would recommend the Ping i3 blades to anyone that plays blades and likes to work the ball as much as I do. Some folks swear by their cavity back clubs, but I really think these ping blades are one of the best feedback delivering clubs on the markets today. One day I look forward to trying out some of the new ping clubs. I am waiting for the next demo day in my area to try them out. For now, my i3’s and I will continue to be best friends and tackle any course we challenge.

[Aug 06, 2009]
samarati
Model Reviewed: Ping i3 irons

Wow! Now these are Good golf clubs! I just bought these on E-bay. Got 3 - SW with JZ stiff steel shafts. Original Ping grips still on them, look like new. The original owner must have played these clubs all of 5 times.

Here's my cute story: Went out with my pals to the shorter course with the tight fairways and tricky greens. Used what I thought was good judgement; ("Don't take the Pings out 2 hours after you got them, use your Callaway X-12 set that you know"). I throw the Pings in the car too for range practice after the round. I shoot bogey golf on the front nine, despite that all my drives are fantastic length and straight down the middle. My approach shots are all over the place. I'm nine over par on the front. I go to the car to swap the Callaways for the Ping i3's.

I proceed to shoot 1 under par on the back nine holes. Every single approach shot lands where I aim it. I plunk 175 yard shots to the green 4 feet from the hole. This is amazing!

My Callaways and Ping Karsten II set are on E-bay auction right now.

Ping service. They fix it free! Doesn't get any better.

These Ping i3's are the 8th set of golf clubs I've owned this year. They are the best.

[Jun 19, 2009]
TimJ
Model Reviewed: I3

I am a new golfer. I inherited a set of ping I3s from my father because he had switched. I never liked to golf before I had these clubs, but now I m addicted. Today was my first day on a course with them, my first day of golfing alone 5th time out in life. Before I was lucky to see a fairway, I shot 9 holes today and shot a horrible 55. (thats counting penaltys made with my driver.) To you that may be bad but for some one who used to loose count in the 70 s on 9 these have made a world of difference. I can now call golf my hobby. If these clubs are forgiving enough for me they should help anyone.

[Mar 23, 2009]
Chris Dolloff
Model Reviewed: Ping i3 blade irons

I had a set of Ping Zings years ago and have always wanted to go back to Ping. I recently bought a set of black dot I3's used on ebay for $165. I was a little scared of the "players club" label, reading that these are primarily for low handicapers, or medium handicapers with very consistent swings. I shoot anywhere from low 80's to mid 90's. I thought these irons may be difficult to hit and lack the forgiveness I need. I was wrong, I love these irons. Pinpoint accuaracy on well hit shots, and enough forgiveness on slight mis-hits. I love the feel of these irons.

[Jul 02, 2008]
bjdrivers
Model Reviewed: PING i/3 Blade JZ Stiff

My years of ho'ing irons is now over. I have finally found a player's cavity that fits my game. I scored a full set of these on ebay (3-LW) in black dot which fits me. These irons offer plenty of forgiveness for a decent player. They have the best feel I've ever felt for cast irons. They are laser beams when you are swinging well, and offer forgiveness when you aren't. Can't ask for more than that. In fact my whole bag is PING now and I'm playing my best golf ever. The i/3's are as good as any new irons offered by PING. I love them.

you name it!

[Nov 28, 2007]
Lee
Model Reviewed: Ping I-3 Orange Dot

Great set of clubs. I just recently started golfing about 4 months ago. Alot of people told me that these clubs are not as forgiving as some of the other clubs I could purchase for the same price, but they seem just fine to me. The distance I get from these clubs compared to my starter set are amazing. I recently hit my 7 iron nearly 200 yards and hit my 5 iron over 215.

Not needed.

MacGregor GT1800

[Oct 19, 2007]
San Diego Golfer79
Model Reviewed: Ping i3 Blade Red

Great set of irons! Now I know why people rave over Ping products.

Pros:
- Forgiveness
The set says "Blade" but they're really not blades. Thinner and less off-set cavity back set that offers good forgiveness. Offset is not too much, not too little for 10 and under handicap golfers such as myself. Mis-hits yield very good results.
- Distance
Wow, I actually was very surprised at the distance these irons generate. I'm about a club longer w/ these than my previous Maxfli Revolution Black set. It could be the draw flight (referring back to the off-set) that these irons generate.
- Trajectory
Very good trajectory. Scoring clubs are high and soft. Mid and long-irons produce desirable trajectory that are piercing.
- Std shaft
Standard Ping ZZ65 steel shafts are great. Some may complain the shafts are too light (approx 110g) but final built product yields easy-to-swing D1 swingweight.
- Accuracy
Accuracy really should be on the top of the "Pro" list. Good accuracy w/ this set. Not the Mizuno MP60 laser pinpoint, but not far from them either.
(Again, the draw flight needs to be controlled at first, but once got used to, accuracy improved greatly)

Cons:
- Lack of Feel
Well, the set is cast clubhead. Enough said. But, still enough feel to know toe-sweetspot-heel shot.
- Off-set/Draw flight
It just took me a few weeks to get used to the off-set. I've always played w/ minimum off-set and as with all Ping irons (except for S58/59), there's a lot more off-set factor.
- Chipping
Due to the lack of feel (or because I was spoiled w/ previous high-feel clubs) distance control is tough. I use many clubs for diff short game shots (hybrid, 8i, PW, 54*, 58*) and now I've went back to Sand and Lob irons. No big deal.

In summary, these irons have replaced my first love: Maxfli Revolution black.
I'm sorry to see the Maxflis go, but I'm hitting more GIRs and walking up to Par3s have become fun again!

Haven't dealt w/ Ping's customer service yet.

Maxfli Revolution black (great great set)
And then too many others

[Dec 14, 2006]
Jeremiah
Model Reviewed: Ping i3 blade white dot

I bought these irons off of ebay for a steal. I paid $200 for these brand new and it was the best investment i have ever made in the game of golf. I love the way they feel off of the face. The ball flight is spectacular and they are just as forgiving as any other cavity back irons of this type that I have tried. I love the way i can also work the ball also it was just such a huge difference in feel whenever I got these irons.

Titleist DCI's

[Dec 07, 2006]
Tambo
Model Reviewed: Ping i3 blades

Great long irons. Short irons could do w a touch more offset. Medium traj, moderately long. Not as workable/not as much feel as traditional blades but mis-hits do go ok.

Ping ISI-poor feel.
Callaway x-tour-1 club shorter.

[Sep 25, 2006]
anthony stanford
Model Reviewed: ping i3 blade

Ping I3 blades are the perfect compromise to a real forged blade and an slightly oversize cavity back. I have had some bad days with these clubs primarily because my swing at that time is out of sync. I'm not sure I buy into the whole if you are not a single digit handicapper don't use anything that resembles a blade; what did people do before the so called game improvement clubs. In any case if you are a good striker of the golf ball, and obviously can repeat your swing the I3's may prove to be a worthy selection. They are long, with mid to high ball flight, very workable, and produce the necessary feed back on mis hits, along with modest forgiveness. All that coupled with the Ping name, how can you go wrong, heck, even resale on these are pretty darn good.

Haven't used.