Ping I5 Irons

I5

The Ping i5 iron is a mid-size, stainless steel iron with reduced offset. The perimeter weighted iron shares many of the G5 iron features, including the larger, thinner Custom Tuning Port (CTP) for improved feel. The sole width and cavity size are created for forgiveness and playability. The lead edge and bounce angle are designed for a smoother, forgiving transition through the turf and from the rough.

Lawrence McMahon   Shoots in the 80s [Sep 24, 2011]
Model Reviewed: ping i5

Bought them used ,blk dot which is what I was previously fitted for.First nine I played I had 3 birdies which have been hard to come by this season.They hit straight as an arrow and feel just as soft as my cobra s2 forged.I hit a flag pole from 160 yds. out, something I usually do when I`m chipping and close.Unbelievable confidence builder.Only played 3 rounds and love them already.If these don`t help make me better than nothing will.

not used

Similar Products Used: mizuno,cobra s2 forged,tm bubble shaft
somatics   Scratch Golfer [May 25, 2011]
Model Reviewed: Ping I5

Big changes in the bag this year. Away went Titleist and in went Ping. I5 irons, Ping Eye 2 BECU wedges (this is sounding like Calcavecchia's bag!), the G10 hybrids went in as well.

Craftmanship of PIng has always been top notch. They are a dying breed of OEM's who truly get the idea of "custom" and "tuning" to your game.

I have been fitted by Ping in Toronto. Excellent service.

Shaft-wise we elected to go with a pricey graphite option. The Pro Force 95 Gold tour iron shaft in stiff flex. Irons set 3 degrees flat.

Feels like a million bucks.

As good as the Eye 2's but with more distance is a vote that I second.

I have 14 sets of irons up for sale if anyone is interested!. lol

I think these will stay in the bag for awhile.

Played a quick evening nine at the home course last night. The putter was mega hot and shot a 31.

The irons have a touch of offset, but not enough to bother me.

Ping still offer the best service of any of the biggies by far.

Good luck.

The best!

Similar Products Used: Name it.

Titleist, 735CM, 755, 681's.
Macgregor 685's
Ping S58
Ping EYE 2
Mizuno MP30 and 60

etc.....
famousdavis   Scratch Golfer [Nov 08, 2010]
Model Reviewed: ping i5

I saw a set of these in like new condition at Play it Again Sports, 3-PW, Black Dot, CS Lite R Shafts, Ping grips. Like I said "NEW" condition. They had them priced at $285 and I talked the store clerk into giving them to me for $185. It's what I do. Anyway, played with the yesterday without ever hitting them on the range and shot a smooth 74. I was hitting lasers all day folks. I know a good club by feel and these are the best. I played Ping Eye 2s for 25 years and these are just as good with more distance. Better than that forged junk. If I could just putt better I'd be on tour. That's the truth dorks.

Stuphoto   Shoots in the 80s [Jul 06, 2010]
Model Reviewed: Ping I5 irons

First 3-7 Irons are very short compared to almost every Iron I have hit .
8-sw are pin point accurate . With just fantastic spin . They are very workable but I just don't like the loss in distance . I usually hit my 7 iron 160 . I can only hit my Ping i5 7 iron 140. That's a problem in my book . I had regular steel with cushion incert . Feedback was OK .
I will say The sand wedge was the nicest I have ever played . Wish I still had that. If your buying used and are mid to low handicap I would go for Mizuno MP irons.

Never used

Similar Products Used: I switched to Mizuno MP 32 irons and WOW ! Not that is a set of Irons I love .
I have also plaed r7's - not bad but prefer blades.
Christopher Mann   Shoots in the 90s [Dec 09, 2009]
Model Reviewed: Ping i-5 Silver Dot

I'm not a great golfer, not horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't shoot in the 80's...yet.

I've been playing Ping ISI's now for a few years and decided it was time to get some new sticks. First, I went to Pings cite to "self fit" myself with their color matching "dot" system. Then I went to a golfsmith with knowledge in hand and wanted to see what they recommended without telling them I already had a good idea what "dot" I should be swinging.

Let me tell you right now that I choose neither of their recommendations. Both the color matching "dot" system and the dude at Golfsmith recommended White Dot...which is what I've been swinging, but to me the "silver dot" felt better.

I found a GREAT set of i5's Silver dots on Ebay and played this past weekend. THANK GOD the hour I spent on the range was no indication of what kind of round I was going to have because I couldn't hit the ball 20 feet.

Once I got my stance and grip figured out (the clubs were a little shorter than my ISI's and the grip a little smaller) I couldn't believe how well I hit the ball. Par 3, 160 yard with stiff cross winds, 7 iron to 4 feet. 3rd shot on a long par 5 sitting on a down slope into a bunker, 8 iron to within feet of the cup.

Fairway shots, tee shots, even pitches from 20-30 yards out absolutely amazing. Definitely saving strokes. There is a reason why i5's are hard to find.

Akvarn   Shoots in the 80s [Oct 06, 2008]
Model Reviewed: Ping i5

Bought these off the internet since they don't sell Ping near where I live. I previously played the forged KZG Evolution which progresses from cavity back to blade. Played around 77-83 with them. I bought the i5's for more forgiveness to establish myself in the high 70's.

I was a bit disappointed during the first few rounds but figured it would take som time to adjust to a new set of clubs with new features.

The i5's are forgiving, no doubt. This is a good thing. I was prepared to trade off some feedback, feel and looks for this. The design is typical of "easy to hit irons" with much offset and a wide sole.

Still, after a year, I don't feel comfortable with how the clubhead sits behind the ball and have lost confidence. The game improvement features are actually what bother me with these clubs, especially from 5i to PW. They should help, but the ball striking is poorer than it used to be.

I rely on feedback from the clubs. These, unfortunately, feel like hitting stones.
As a consequence the part of my game that has deteriorated most is the short game. Distance is OK, but I find it harder to get the ball out of the rough with good results than I did with the Evolution irons.

The Ping i5's are by no means bad and I really want to like them. Their design just doesn't fit me. They feel like a shovel rather than a precision instrument. As a feel player this really hurts my game.

Special order with my specs. The clubs arrived within days of my order. Excellent.

Similar Products Used: Maxfli VHL
KZG Evolution
mark kitashima   Shoots in the 70s [Jun 04, 2008]
Model Reviewed: Ping I5

I began playing golf at a young age. I was lucky enough to begin with ping Eye 2 irons. As I progressed in ability I wanted to change to forged blades for control. My last set of forged irons was Mizuno MP33's. I dont know what happened to my game but I began to go from a 3 to a 9. After a couple rounds in the mid 80's i decided it was time for a change. I looked at every club made by every manufacturer. I decided to go with Ping, as I know they are well built and they were my first clubs. I was worried about losing the benefits and response from forged clubs. I chose the I5's due to the fact that they would have a little more forgiveness from the S59's. The very next round I shot a 74. I learned how far these move and I enjoy the forgiveness. these clubs brought back my length and brought me back into getting on in regulation again. These clubs brought back the fun I had lost in golf when I tried to be too serious and use players clubs.

sam dolphin   Shoots in the 70s [Mar 29, 2008]
Model Reviewed: ping I5

these are the best irons i have ever brought. they give me great distance and have a awsome sweet spot. i've had them for about 7 months and i dont want to change to anything else for a while.
if you are looking for some diffrent irons these are a great possability

les greeenwood   Shoots in the 80s [Mar 28, 2008]
Model Reviewed: Ping i5

I have been using these irons now for 3 months & have played a dozen or so rounds with them.
I have the green dot with the cs lite stiff shaft with the cushin insert,the shaft as you'd expect is on the light side but with the insert which weighs 10 grammes makes them just right for me.
As with all ping irons they are well made & are very durable, these particular irons are a nice improvement on some of the previous models, what I like about them is that there is reduced off set , a narrower sole & a slightly reduced head size, so with that said they set up very nicely at address & inspire confidence.
On to performance, this is where they shine for me because A They are very forgiving. B they give great feedback, C the trajectory & spin is just right,& D as with all Ping irons distance controll is second to none.
I have owned ping irons before and they are great clubs, they last being cast & so consequently hold there value,
I picked my set up for $ 312.00 off ebay in really nice condition, so these are a great bargain now that the i10 is out.

So bottom line is these are a nice set of sticks for the low to mid handicaper, who wants to move away from the big over size off set game improvement clubs but doesnt feel comfartable with blades.
Hope this helps, good luck.

n.a.

Similar Products Used: wilson f.s Tommy armour 845 ,ping eye 2 ping G2 & mizuno mx 23.
Jeff Berneski   Shoots in the 80s [Feb 19, 2008]

Bought these Ping i5 blue dots to replace my Ping eye 2 + irons and................WOW! Great control with these irons, distance control is awesome. These irons are very forgiving.
Feel very good setting up over the ball and when you hit these on the button they feel effortles, truly pure!

Highly recommend these irons!

Ping always has great customer service!