Ping ZING2 Irons

Ping ZING2 Irons

From Ping: In the ZING2 iron, Karsten engineers created a higher moment of inertia, which produces greater resistance to twisting on off-center hits... the extreme perimeter weighting of the ZING2 increases the clubs' effective hitting area, optimizing forgiveness and accuracy. They feature a "leaner" more subtle profile (more standard width top line etc...) than their original "ZING" predecessors.

[Feb 19, 2013]
painter33
Model Reviewed: Ping Zing 2 Irons

These are my second set of Zing 2 irons after trading the first set in on a new set of Mizuno MP 30s - I wanted less offset and thought I'd try a forged iron. The Mizunos are great when hit exactly in the sweet spot but one pays dearly for off-center hits. I bought the second set of matching numbers Zing 2s on eBay as they were very reliable and were my third iteration of Ping irons (Eye2, Zing). These irons are the most predictable and playable irons I've ever hit. I've demo-ed a number of other Pings and other major brands (Calloway -ugh!), but none offers the feel throughout the swing as Zing 2s do. I'm not a "digger" so I rarely hit a fat shot, but on that rare occasion, the thin top line (excluding the heel and toe weights) moves right through the turf and the shot still makes its way down the line. I use steel shafts exclusively so I can't speak to graphite shafts, but these irons don't take a lot of effort to get the ball up and away for solid distances. I keep looking at the "i-whatever" Pings but I can't imagine that they could out perform the Zing 2 irons. Quite a few people may not like their look and laugh at the size of the heads, but they stop laughing when my second shot hits the target, usually the correct side of the green (par 4). Because I came to the "2s" through the Zings, I never had trouble adjusting to the look at address (much better than the Zings), and from the very first demo swing - it was a smooth 4 iron that produced a high, straight, and long shot - I was sold. Away went the Zings and the Zing 2s have been in my bag with the exception of the 1.5 years of only Mizunos. My hdcp went from a 12 to a 7 in a year, mostly due to the Zing to Zing 2 change and playing 4-5 times a week. I've experimented with different grip weights over the years to find the combination that gave me the most feel, as I like to feel a heavy head through the swing arc. A variety of Winn grips have served me well, certainly different that the GP or Lamkin full-cords I used for years. I still like Lamkin Crossline cords, but have reduced the weight by switching to Winn. All in all, I simply love these irons and am convinced that they will be in my bag for the rest of my golf life. I might change drivers and putters, but I've found my lifetime irons.

I've been measured twice (dynamic fitting - different fitters, same results) but I haven't dealt with Pings CS since sending in an Eye2 driver for a new shaft and new whipping - yes, it was that long ago!

What is similar to a Ping iron? Only another Ping iron. The Eye2 irons were like magic in 1985; th eZings were only a little easier to hit than the Eye2s, but the Zing 2s are by far the best irons I've played. Mizunos are forged and gleaming near-blades and can't really be compared to one another except as I wrote above.

[Oct 03, 2012]
Christian V.
Model Reviewed: Ping Zing 2

I didn't believe my golf shop pro when she told me these were the best irons Ping ever made.
After my first set was stolen, I replaced with Ping Raptures and it wasn't quite the same. I simply didn't have the same confidence level at address, especially with the longer clubs.
The Zing 2s have a unique chunky look and satisfying thwack that just grows on you over time.
Luckily, I found a nice set on eBay and just recently played my best round.
Will never trade these for another!

Excellent, though not as accommodating to requests for replacement.

[May 30, 2012]
nick wasilew
Model Reviewed: pingzing2 black dots

i bought sum new ping blades bout a year ago . an now back to my ole sticks again. these are the best clubs i think . they are forgiving n they go crazy long i probley wont go back .

sometimes.lol they are great out there in the customer service.

you wont fine anything better.

[Feb 06, 2011]
JC
Model Reviewed: Ping Zing 2

If you shoot 80 or above buy a set of these. I have hit ping zings then about 8 years ago I went to the ping zing 2 w/graphite and you cant find a more forgiving easy to hit iron period.

ping zings

[Oct 12, 2010]
fits136
Model Reviewed: zing 2

Well now about a year ago,i said i liked the zing better (ktm stiff) I think age has got me,im almost 67, i had bought a graf 101 set of zing2 from Minitooth golf in TX,great guy too deal with very easy,and a true gent.At that time i could not get used to them,kept swoping around with other clubs(i have too many sets) my game was in the toilet! Anyway slight change of grip...out with the 2s,stuck with them,and all is well,
With the graphite i have found DON'T try and hit hard,let the club do it(i know that's what they all say,do we listern?) Well it works. Im hiting the ball medium high,and srtaight,they feel good and solid,don't like the wedges though. There are no magic clubs,only prices that make you think there are ! This is ALL you need,try a set and good luck.

Never needed it.

Most of em...

[Jul 06, 2010]
Garrett
Model Reviewed: Ping zing 2

I have been playing with the ping zing 2's for about 3 years now and i love them. They are amazing clubs and despite the fact that they are pretty old i love them. My buddy bought the new Vr nike irons and i tried to use them and ended up going back to my ping zing 2's and i do not think that i will change clubs any time soon.

[Sep 12, 2009]
bfitz
Model Reviewed: Ping Zing 2

These are the best irons that I have played period. Everytime I try another iron I keep coming back to the Zing 2's. Ultra forgiving and very playable. Can draw and fade at will. They are also very long. Longer than all the new stuff out there.....Get yourself a set of these.....best iron set EVER!

Phenomenal......best service I have experienced in the industry

Ping ISI, Callaway Big Bertha, Taylor RAC OS 2005

[Apr 05, 2009]
Dave Grabbe
Model Reviewed: Ping Zing 2 irons

I have been a Ping user since 1974. Bought a set of the original Ping Karsten I irons.
Later moved up to a set of Ping EYE2s. A couple of years ago, bought a set of Ping Zing irons. And last year stumbled across a set of Ping Zing2 irons for $175! I have tried different irons through my years but now that I'm in my 50s, cavity back is the only way for me. I thought the Zings had a huge sweetspot but after hitting the Zing2's, decided that was the club for me. If you can find a set on ebay or Callaway's preowned outlet for $200, even $250, they are well worth it.

I havent had to use Ping's customer service but when I called and asked questions, they were very helpful.

Kenneth Smith Irons

[Apr 03, 2009]
jamesll9
Model Reviewed: zing2

Great clubs. I have playes about40 models of clubs and these are by far th most consistent.

Ping is the best company to deal with. They can replace or reshaft any club they have ever made

G5. G10. Cleveland, Titleists, Mizunos, you name it

[Sep 15, 2008]
Gary Suzukawa
Model Reviewed: Ping Zing2 Irons - Red Dot

I recently found the set of irons I've wanted for nearly 20-years. The Ping Zing2 - Red Dot irons represents the best investment in recent memory. I borrowed a set nearly 20-years ago, and wanted a set for myself since, but couldn't afford them new, and couldn't find them for a reasonable price used. They are exactly as advertised, especially when hitting into the wind ala Tiger Woods' stinger. I get lots of back-spin, no twisting at impact, and most importantly, hit a lot more greens. Now, I need to work on my putting, or aiming directly at pins. The old "going for the fat of the green" doesn't cut it any more because I actually hit the greens where I aim now. It takes a lot of mental preparation when you're used to playing conservatively for so long, and rely on a killer short-wedge game to save par. Not being used to putting 20-25 footers for birdie, makes for an unexpected consequence - 3-putts...