Titleist DCI 981 Irons

Titleist DCI 981 Irons

[Jun 04, 2008]
Patrick
Model Reviewed: DCI 981

Picked up a set of 981dci off ebay for $160 in a+++ condition. I have to say longest straightest iron I have ever played PW flys 160yds on a dry day. Only knock i have shafts are too stiff and cant work the ball very well. Ill take a straight ball flight I guess, recommend for any low mid handicapper looking for cheap brand name irons.

never used

ping eye 2
yonex v mass tour

[Jun 01, 2008]
gggggggggggfb
Model Reviewed: titleist dci 981

I bought a used set of these clubs last week and played 2 round with them. I am impressed with the ball flight and they have great distance when you catch them flush, which isnt that difficult, they are more for your low to mid handicapper and you can get these for penuts on ebay. Why would you go out and spend 700 bucks on 2008 irons when you can get the same thing with these for next to nothing. I am very impressed with the value of these clubs.

most tittleist irons

[Feb 29, 2008]
GHow
Model Reviewed: Titlest Dci 981

This is a strait, long and accurate club.
It has the feel of a proline outfit, I highly recommnd!

[Aug 10, 2007]
jonny
Model Reviewed: Titleist DCI 981

I got these irons today. played one round and i shot 79 and im 13 years old. they are great. good feel. look good. not the newest clubs out but, you feel like a golfer with them not a hacker. i used to have the taylormade r7, the newest ones out. they were ok, but the titleist DCI 981 are by far better. easy to shape a ball. draw. fade. and the distance is good. some may say they dont like them. but thats onyl because they cant hit them. they are good irons and ill have them for a long time.

[Jul 31, 2007]
Nick Rusbridge
Model Reviewed: titleist DCI 981 irons

I bought a second hand set of these irons about two years ago when I was 14. I used to play off around 25 but with the help of these irons I am now playing off 14. I would realy recommend these irons to mid-handicap players who are serious about improving their game. I find the irons are very forgiving and allow for slight miss hits, when you hit them well they feel great and the ball will travel dead straight. Overall i think these irons are great and quite cheap as well, I bought mine for around £150.

bought off the internet.

[Jun 20, 2007]
sean
Model Reviewed: Titelist DCI 981

I am 14 and on the shorter side so i just moved up from junior clubs and i already love them. They are very consistent and when you hit a good ball you can really tell.

[May 24, 2007]
skeglesswonder
Model Reviewed: Titleist 981

What was Titleist's easier hit to club at the time, they are still a players club. A heavy feel using the Tri Spec R-flex shafts.

I bought them new, so they are now 7 years old? They are still playable, thank goodness for cheaper stainless steel casting. They dont quite spin the ball as well anymore, but they get the job done.

My only grief is the lack of forgiveness and maybe the shaft options. Everytime I swing a Rifle club, I feel at home.

Awesome. I had these clubs custom fit with matching serial numbers, so you get free loft and lie modifications for the life of the irons. Only had to pay 10 bucks shipping to mail them in.

Demoed some wilson fat shafts at the time. They were almost identical in feel. Tried some cobras later and loved the cobras more.

[Mar 18, 2007]
greg fisher
Model Reviewed: Titliest DCI 981

I bought this set of irons in 2002. They have travelled the world with me and have proven to be one of the best investments over the years. Over the last 4 years or so Ive dropped about 10 strokes off my game. It took a good year to get a feel for these clubs but after I tuned in my swing and became more precise with my mechanics, these irons really started working well for me. This is a great set for players in the intermediate to advanced level of play. Not for the high handicapper. These clubs will need the lie angle adjusted after you've played a bit. The sweet spot is fairly precise so there isnt much room for variance in your game, go to the range and play lots of golf if you want these to work for you. If you only play a few times a month then maybe these wont work for your style of play.

[Feb 06, 2007]
titleist18
Model Reviewed: 981 3-pw stiff

Good set of irons but not great... These irons are made for intermediate to experienced golfers... They are not the longest and also not the straightest set I've owned... I guess you can blame that on the technology used at the time they were created... I would recommend the average golfer to pass up on these irons even though they are from Titleist... Try the 990 or the 762's, they are more forgiving and they both produce better distance... However, the 981 does give excellent feedback on mis-hits... It also has the perfect size and look... Not too bulky like the new cavity backs on the market... But for your money, I would recommend something else!!!

Not needed

Titleist 990, 762, Callaway x14, x16 and x18
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, Ben Hogan CFT, Ping S59, Nike Slingshot, Maxfli Revolution EXT, Tommy Armour 845s, Taylormade 320 and 360...

[Jun 30, 2006]
patriot23
Model Reviewed: Titleist DCI 981 3-PW

I have hit these irons for the past 3 years. I went into golfsmith one day, hit them and fell in love with them, and haven't turned back since. It's easy to control trajectory and working the ball left and right isn't as easy as some other irons, but I'm not sure if that's the clubs or an operator malfunction. Mis-hits are not punished much at all, only a few yards. Distance is a bit better than most clubs with same loft specifications.

I've tried more recent Titleist irons and I can't say that I like them at all. Callaway has done a good job with their X-16, X-18, and Big Bertha Fusion lines, and those might be about as forgiving and a bit longer than the DCI 981's. So if you have the money those are great, but if you're looking for basically the same clubs with less offset for a fourth the price, these are great.

Overall, you can get these for under $150 on ebay now and these are the