Titleist DCI 990-B Irons

DCI 990-B

From Titleist: "The new 990-B is similar to the original 990 in that the head is designed with upper and lower mass elements in cavity, or “weight pads” behind striking area. In the long irons, the lower cavity pad is thicker and the upper cavity pad is thinner to create a lower center of gravity (CG) and promote playability and higher ball flight. In the short irons, the lower cavity pad is thinner and upper cavity pad is thicker to produce a higher CG and lower, more controllable ball flight. The 990-B Cavity is slightly smaller than DCI 990 iron for added workability."

famousdavis   Scratch Golfer [Oct 21, 2009]
Model Reviewed: 990-B

I had played the 990 irons before and really liked them. I thought I'd try the 990b irons because, after all, I'm about as good an iron player you'll find who's not on the regular tour. I didn't like these and I especially didn't like the longer irons. A little clunky and chunky for my high-end taste. Do yourself a favor and try another flavor. If you don't 'em to sting then go get your self a Ping. See you later Ralph Nader.

Not too bad so I'm really glad.

Similar Products Used: Used them all, Peter Paul.
JWReece   Shoots in the 70s [Jul 03, 2009]
Model Reviewed: Titleist 990-B

I have played the 990-B's for several years. Great set up...easy to work the ball. Like many have said, this is not the club for the occasional player, but if you have the time to stay on top of them...then they're are great.

Very small sweet spot. On par three's, must tee the ball very low. High hits on the face come off very dead. Shots off the toe are terrible - but if you're the player with a consistent swing, these baby's are for you.

Never had a problem.

Similar Products Used: All previous clubs were more perimeter weighted, so none were similar.
afdaddy   Shoots in the 80s [Sep 19, 2008]
Model Reviewed: Titleist 990

I've had these for about 3 years now and am on the fence. They are dubbed as a 'muscle back' that is somewhere between a cavity back and blade, but they play much more like a blade. That being said when I play regularly (2-3 times a week) they feel like no other club you'll hit on the sweet spot. The club heads are heavier so immediately you'll notice 10-15 yds greater distance and need to club down on most shots (my 150 club is 9 with the 990's). The heavy bottom weight gives every club a fairly high trajectory, which seems to make the high irons a little easier to hit.

The downside to that small sweet spot, is that the clubs can be extremely difficult to play with when your not on or don't have a consistent swing. Mis-hits make the club rattle in your hand violently and teeing up a ball with your irons is not really and option as the hits high on the face come off dead.

With all of that, when I've had time to play a lot, I've gotten my handi-cap to single digits with these clubs, but when work or family have had me down to once a month on the course, these are not a club you can just pick up and play a round with.

I'd recommend buying a set of these for when you are feeling like gaming it, and a set of cavity backs for swinging around.

bjdrivers   Shoots in the 70s [Apr 16, 2008]
Model Reviewed: Titleist DCI990-B S300

Maybe Lumberking should try hitting the sweet spot with these, cause they are the best feeling cast irons I've ever hit. Solid workability & lower ball flight on the short irons. Excellent! Can be had for a steal nowadays.

Similar Products Used: Many!
LUMBERKING   Shoots in the 90s [Dec 01, 2004]
Model Reviewed: 990 b

terrible irons....very hard click noise at impact....i wish my friend would throw these in the garbage......it was supposed to be a blade but it's cast....what a joke !!

great

Similar Products Used: all of them....titleist 681 the very best
aldilanv   Shoots in the 70s [Apr 08, 2004]
Model Reviewed: Titleist 990 b

I recently purchased the "Titleist 990b dci" irons at a local golf specialty store. I didn't even have to hit them long before I knew those irons were the ones for me, good set up, and a really nice feel to the club. The lower irons have a higher ball flight that is perfect for me so I can get more spin on the ball. The Titleist grips I have on these irons are great, tons of grip which is way better than the grip on my Taylor Made v-steel 3 wood that is just rubbery. I was mainly impressed with the way the 3 and 4 irons strike the ball, last year I was having troubles hitting those low irons with my other irons, but with these pupps its twice as good. Overall I would have to say Titleist manufactured a very impressive iron.

haven't had to use

Similar Products Used: Titleist 990, Ping i3,
jeffmullin11   Shoots in the 70s [Mar 05, 2003]
Model Reviewed: Titleist 990b

I love the set up and feel of the Titleist 990 blades. I have always played blades (since I was 14) and will never use another type of club. The feel and result are well worth the money for the clubs. My game has improved and I have a more controlling ball flight. Thanks Titleist.

Titleist makes and distributes the best golf equipment in the world. Switch and find out.

Similar Products Used: Ram FX blades, Ping Eye 3 (red) and Titleist oversize DCI's.
golfinfu   Shoots in the 80s [Jan 09, 2003]
Model Reviewed: 990-B

There's nothing like the feeling of hitting a blade (or semi-blade in this case) pure. I upgraded from DCI oversize irons and am very pleased. I can actually FEEL the ball, where it's going, and whether or not I hit it properly. To be honest though, I wanted the 690cbs but didn't want to spend the extra $200-400. Great club for the money!

unknown

Similar Products Used: DCI oversize, Taylor Made Firesole, Callaway X-12, Callaway X-14 pro series.
Scott   Shoots in the 70s [Dec 17, 2002]
Model Reviewed: Titleist 990 irons

With Sensicore shafts, this is a very enjoyable club. Had gottent these before new a few years ago with stiff S300 Dynamic Gold, but my hands stung too much and the club was harder to control. Needless to say, a swing change had a lot to do with this, and it is more on plane. Titleist gave this a great design. They looked forged, but it is still a cast head. Feedback from shots is minimal at best. I had more response from Mizuno MP-14s. Nevertheless, these are an enjoyable club to swing with minimal offset and a micro sweet spot, that is why they should put a disclaimer for 4 handicap, scratch, or plus 4. They are not for 90 percent of the golfing public, just the few.

Titleist customer service routes everything through the dealer, which is good for the pro's business. Lie adjustments ($5 a clubhead) and reconditioning ($20 a clubhead) is about average in the industry. Turnaround time on factory modification is about 3 weeks. Do your changes in the off season or get a backup to use in the meantime.