Titleist Forged Stainless 804.OS Irons

Forged Stainless 804.OS

The new Forged Stainless 804.OS is a high performance, oversize blade iron with enhanced offset, contemporary design features and forged construction technology. Forged from high grade stainless steel, the club heads are heat treated to the same softness as mild carbon steel. The multi step precision forging process creates a more accurate part so less polishing is needed. The 804.OS irons feature a new "near U" groove design that provides more volume for consistent spin performance from a variety of conditions.

JP   Shoots in the 90s [Feb 05, 2015]
Model Reviewed: Titleist 804.os

READ THIS REVIEW
This is a long review but will tell you what you need to know
If you're reading something you already know about keep reading until the end you won't regret it
So I went to the local used sports equipment store looking for some irons because I had just picked up golf, played 5 rounds only playing through 18 once playing doubles. Not a lot of experience but not a bad swing, yet still not quiet good. I used some irons that my dad gave me and they were blades, bad grips, stiff flex; everything to work to my disadvantage. So I wanted new clubs, I picked these up only because the salesman promised me 7 day money back garuntee. I wouldn't think of returning these. The night I got them I went to the range hit them consistently and accurately. I went from hitting about a 115 to hitting a 90 tonight. Now this is about a 3 month gap between the two scores but these are the only two full rounds of golf I've played! I'm not saying these irons will drop your score as much as they did mine because I watched golf on tv watched videos on swing improvement I go to the range 1-3 times a week so I worked to drop my score this much but I had a terrible slice and I haven't slice a shot yet. No let me tell you mate about the details you need to get for this club. I got a graphite regular flex shaft. The graphite is preference for me the regular flex is not. I have a medium to slow swing so I got that if you have stiff flex steel and you have a fast swing that's fine but if you are trying to play a set of irons with stiff flex steel you might as well try to fly from tee box to tee box. You won't get anywhere and you will have a miserable time. Get regular flex or the flex that appeals to your swing next I got forged irons. Not going into detail, get forged. Pros use forged, it helps. You get a better feel, don't get cast irons, just trust me. I also like the offset head because again I had a bad slice and now I don't (at least with my irons) get cavity backs, blades will make you want to quit golf unless you're a scratch golfer. I hope you found this useful, if you knew all of these thing already then I hope you kept reading because now I'm actually going to get to my review. I hit these clubs further, cleaner, more acuretly, and nicer than any other clubs. These are a good find. The will improve your game and if you have the basic mechanics you'll love them; if you don't hit these clubs well, it's you, not the clubs. These are a must get. I love these and I'm holding on to these bad boys.

Similar Products Used: Wilson, Spalding lol, Ping, Taylormade, Titleist
Spencer   Shoots in the 80s [Aug 16, 2009]
Model Reviewed: Titleist 804 OS

You need a decent swing to play these Irons. I've been playing these for the last year or so and they are the most reliable clubs I've ever played with. They reward pure contact with impressive high ball flight yet they tend to be unforgiving towards the heel. I wouldn't recommend these for beginners but they are a perfect set for the consistent, athletic swing.

lpasq   Shoots in the 100s [Jul 26, 2009]
Model Reviewed: Titleist 804.OS

I'm 47 and a today I recently achieved the status of beginner. I originally picked up these sticks several years ago when buying a set to play in a corporate golf event. I must have been an easy mark for that slick salesman. I show up to play in that scramble with shiny new clubs that I never even hit. (yes...you can and should be laughing your a** off) The experience of that day was so awful I never considered becoming a golfer. A few more corporate events and the clubs aged in the garage until two months ago when a coworker invited me to play a round.

The passing of four years did not erase the dread embedded in my memory of my false start to learn this game. So...i at least went to a driving range days before the game. I watched for a few hours and then suffered through a big bucket of rocks.

I was told by a guy who felt pity that I shouldn't be [playing such a hard iron to hit. I thought he should have minded his own business since I was having fun hitting some in the air and I knew no better. I played that week's round and feel in love with the feeling I got from hitting a few up and straight. My foursome had a blast watching me suffer to a 154 score.

That night, I decided to take lessons and try to learn how to swing clubs and strike the ball. Six weeks ago, I took the first of my five lesson package from a local teaching pro.

After watching me swing my 9i. He said, "we have to start from scratch and you'll need some clubs that will help you get better." I told him I owned these and these are what I'll use until I understand what a swing should feel right. He appreciated that.

After four lessons, thousands of range balls, a dozen rounds of play, and sore/shocked hands from brutal mis-hits and digging some trenches...I have accomplished two goals. I am breaking 120 and understand what I'm suppose to do to become a consistent ball striker.

These clubs have taught me what a bad shot feels like and make clear to me what I do wrong since the only reward for a miss-hit is if it is a minor miss.

I have ordered a set of W/S Ci6 for a couple hundred bucks that I'm told will be less punishing but still a challenging beginner set. Some will say, they too are "not smart" for a rookie. But...I am a knucklehead. I will break 100 before the new year. (lucky to golf all year long here in SoCal) Whatever the Wilson experience delivers, my 804.OSs have a permanent home if for no other reason than they have taught me what I do wrong.

Similar Products Used: n/a
Stormbringer   Scratch Golfer [Dec 17, 2008]
Model Reviewed: 804 OS Nippon Steel 3-PW

What a soft, easy to hit and nice looking iron. I picked these up cheap used at a local discount store and I am very pleased with them.

Ball flight is nice and high and I like the progressive offset and the finish of the irons. The 7-PW have a slightly strong loft so I easily bent them into standard specs.

Great set of irons. Clubs can be worked either way and ball flight is high.

None needed thus far

Similar Products Used: Ping I5, Hogan Apex Edge, Nike Pro Combo.
John Belley   Shoots in the 80s [Oct 25, 2007]
Model Reviewed: TITLEIST 804 OS

Thinking that I was needing a more forgiving club as I was getting older, I gave these a try at the golf course pro shop where I work after using countless sets of game improvement clubs with "no game improvement". With out getting into the details all I can say is that I should have tried a more "players" club sooner because it has transformed my game. Not that the 804's are a means to an end but they worked so well for me that I bought a mint set on eBay for under $200 and never looked back. I urge you to try some of the better forged clubs in your search and see what I mean. You're not as old as you think!

Not needed

Similar Products Used: Too many to list. Ping, Taylor Made, Cobra, Adams, Cleveland etc.
spielman45   Shoots in the 90s [Sep 24, 2007]
Model Reviewed: titleist 804 OS

I have had these clubs for over a year now and wanted to write a review only after I have played them for awhile. They have been better than I expected them to be. I have only been playing for a few years now and wanted to play a set that I could keep for awhile. I was first worried that I bought the wrong set as these blade types were hard at first to hit. But as time went by and playing as much I could they have been wonderful. Yes you have to posses a decent swing to hit them, but when your on these clubs are awesome!!! I tell you there is nothing like the feeling of a forged iron! I was planning to purchase a set of the Titleist 695 blades in a few years, but I think the 804's will be in my bag for a long time. Well done Titleist.

I have never used them as I mostly do my shopping from The Golf Warehouse (the service was always excellent!) But I know I will use Titleist products for a long time.

Similar Products Used: 2006 Callaway Big Berthas, Ping Zings, Taylormade Racs
Russcoe   Shoots in the 80s [Aug 06, 2007]
Model Reviewed: Titleist 804s

Been switching between mx-20's and pro2's. Got these on ebay brand new for $270 (£140) fitted with NS-904 regular shafts 3 degs flat. These clubs have to be hit properly to perform, but that is good for feedback and refining your technique. However when your swing is on they are superb, shot 5 birdies in 8 holes for shot 4 over par in a comp. Offset helps slicers but makes me prone to hooking and its difficult to hit a fade. Ball flight quite high but does not balloon, distance variable depending on quality of strike. Good stopping ability on all shots. I am 44 years old, 5'8" (172 cm), 76 kg (175 lb), not a great ball stiker; carry distances as follows, similar to my other clubs so not a huge improvement in distance:

PW 110-125
9I 120-135
8I 125-145
7I 135-155
6I 140-165
5I 155-175
4I 160-180

As I said earlier they have to be hit properly. Very unforgiving towards the heel, not too bad low or high off the face and the toe is ok. The sound and feel let you know when you hit a good one. Lovely satin finish and they seem to be wearing well for forged clubs. Thick top line gives confidence and soles not too thick thin. The more I play with them the more I like them and have had some great rounds with them.

Have had experience with Titleist UK-Very good service.

Similar Products Used: Comp-EZ's, MX-20's, Ping Eye 2+, Ping ISI Copper, Ping i3's.
Darrin Wright   Shoots in the 80s [Aug 04, 2007]
Model Reviewed: Titleist 804 OS

I was looking to improve on my game and began to look for some irons that are more towards a players iron, but still give some forgiveness. I was using the TaylorMade Rac OS2 irons, but as my game improved I was wanting to start shaping my shots. The TaylorMade irons are great irons for the higher handicapper, but not for shaping shots, at least not for me. I settled on the Titleist 804's. WOW what a set of irons! Titleist knows what they are doing. When I got these irons in, I put them up against my TaylorMade's and there was a big difference in the size of the head. Titleist 804's do have a smaller head and they do have the blade like looks like the description says. I can shape my shots at will(sometimes)still working on it, but when I pull off that high draw, it is somthing to behold. Gives me confidence like you wouldn't believe. They aren't forgiving like the TaylorMades, but they aren't supposed to be, that is why I bought them, to improve and become a better player. I am now a 14 handicapper and still improving. With only a year of golf under my belt, I am hooked and golf two and three times a week. Great job Titleist. When I get in the single handicap range I will still stick with Titleist on my next set of irons. Mabye the 695CB's. Now lets not get to cocky right:)

Not used

Similar Products Used: TaylorMade Rac OS2,Ping Zing,TaylorMade R7's
Jason   Shoots in the 90s [Jul 29, 2007]
Model Reviewed: Titliest 804 os

After extensive research and reading hundreds of reviews I decieded to purchase a set of these clubs.Being an 18 handicap I was looking for a club that would relay info from my miss hits instead of sugar coating them like most other game improvement clubs. I wanted to get better at the game of golf not by purchasing a set of clubs to allow me to hit the ball better but also allowed me to understand why I hit a bad shot while maintaining some forgiveness as well.I have to say these clubs do just that. If your looking for a club that feels great on everyshot and dont like the feeling of a miss hit shot then these clubs should stay on the shelf. But if your looking for a club that will allow you to enjoy the game and also allow you to become a better golfer by letting you know how you just struck the ball then these clubs are perfect.The forged club gives you great feedback, while the design and offset allows you to still enjoy the game by getting rid of some of the growing pain. As for the distance, My 6iron swing speed with NS Pro970 stiff shafts is 85-88mph, and the ball carries inbetween 165-175yds. Less offset on the MX-25 resulted in my decision to go to the 804os. Both are great clubs, the Titliest felt a little softer with hits on the sweet spot. Overeall great clubs from design to looks and craftmanship. Simply Beautifull

I got the clubs fitted at my local pro shop.
Standard Length and Grip, and 1deg upright. Clubs and service are great. Took only 2 weeks to recieve clubs.