Ben Hogan Sure-Out Lob 6006 Wedges

• Rear sole weighting
  • 17-4 stainless steel construction

jjloans   Shoots in the 70s [Apr 02, 2009]
Model Reviewed: Sure out 60-06

I have played many wedges. This one is a huge winner. I love the design of the sole. Yes, it has only 6* of bounce, very low for a 60*... BUT, if you open the face, the bounce increases dramatically, so hitting it out of the sand becomes much easier. Unlike the previous reviewer, I feel that the low bounce is made for hardpan or tight lies, just keep the face square or a little closed.

The spin on this wedge is super, feels like zip grooves. Great soft forged feel, distance control is a no brainer. I ordered a 56*, hope it is as nice.

Got them new for around $35 shipped, a steal, IMO.

Well worth a look.

NA

Similar Products Used: Had 2 LW's I liked very much, a Callaway X Tour with MD grooves and a Ping i series, both 58*. Nice, but the Hogan blew them away.
OVERALL
Robert   Shoots in the 70s [Jun 09, 2008]
Model Reviewed: Hogan 60 degree lob sure out wedge

I have used Hogan equipment for years and this wedge is another quality golf club from the Ben Hogan company.

I carry three wedges (pitching, gap and lob). I use the lob for close in shots of 75 yards or less, short pitch and chip shots and in the sand.

I had previously used a Hogan 6008 lob wedge. I like the Sure Out better. The other wedge tended to dig too much into the sand; this wedge allows the club to slide underneath the ball almost effortlessly and consistently allowing for better control.

To me the best part of the lob wedge is being able use your regular swing for close in shots (including the sand) which allows for more confidence and better results.

Typically when trying to swing much slower, the hips get out in front and the dreaded over the top shot occurs or you stop and hit it fat or thin.

The bounce on this club is not severe enough to affect fairway shots (i.e., thin hits). Just place the ball back in your stance and hit down in it.

This club does take practice to become efficient with and to gain confidence. Once proficient the amount of spin and control is remarkable.

If you have elevated greens (like my course) this club is wonderful for popping it up in the air and landing it softly.

It is also heavy enough for those high grass shots around the green.

The disadvantage of this club is unless your swing speeds are pro like then distance is reduced thus requiring the gap wedge to fill the void between it and the pitching wedge. This will require removing a club from your bag which may be unacceptable for some golfers. For me, it was the 2-iron.

I would not recommend this club be used off hard pan or where conditions are extremely dry. It will tend to bounce rather than dig in.

As amateurs most of our lost shots come from around the green - not being able to get up and down. This club allows one to get close enough to at least have a 'makeable' putt for par. Since carrying this club my handicap has gone down by 3 from a 7 to a 4.