Wilson Smart-Core Professional Distance Balls

Wilson Smart-Core Professional Distance Balls

[Aug 07, 2016]
Brian Melrose
Model Reviewed: Smart ore Professional

Probably the worst ball I have ever played. Difficult to keep straight and awful round the greens. Save your money and buy a decent ball like a Titleist NXT or Velocity.

[Aug 29, 2009]
seanlsmith
Model Reviewed: Smartcore Professional Distance

This is not the SMARTCORE of old here. I bought a couple dozen on clearance thinking they may hit something like the older Wilson Staff Smartcore Spin-Distance Balls that were a great performance golf ball. This ball offers pretty decent distance and control off the driver/3 wood, but clicks pretty hard off the mid/long irons and offers modest playability around the greens. Weird thing about them is they tend to hop off the putter face, not a good characteristic if you ask me... Overall, a good value ball that will fly straight and stick to the greens when hit well, but not my first choice...

NA

Wilson Staff Smartcore Spin-Distance, Maxfli Tour Fire, Pro V-1, Srixon-Z, Bridgestone, Strata Z-Balata

[Aug 04, 2009]
howard18
Model Reviewed: Smartcore Professional Distance

My friend gave me a bunch of balls he's had in his garage for years. Most were junk, but I found two new-looking Smartcores and figured I'd give them a shot since I was running low on my regular Precept U-Tris. Long story short, the Smartcore is a decent ball. It gets good distance, maybe half a club longer than my usuals, and it feels pretty good around the green. I checked around online and they can be had for cheap. I may have to invest, being a budget-golfer.

[Jul 27, 2004]
lpa
Model Reviewed: Wilson SC Professional Distance

Found one of these balls in new condition and decided to give it a try. Played 9 holes with it yesterday evening. Found it to be fairly long, both off the driver and irons. Felt solid on full shots and "crisp" on pitches and chips. Putted OK also. However, the ball has very little spin and will not check up on full shots into the green. For me that proved to be this ball's fatal flaw and I cannot recommend this ball for players who play a game that does not rely solely on bump and run style approaches. It would appear that this ball would work well for players whose main concern is distance.

Too many to count.

[Jul 03, 2004]
Impy79
Model Reviewed: Wilson SC Pro Distance

These balls do not like my swing. I guess I need more spin control off the tee than they offer because what turns into a 280 yd slight draw with other balls turns into a 240 yd wicked hook with these. Even on good shots I didn't find them to be very long, certainly about 30 yds shorter than other balls I've played recently (Loco, SoLo). The only upside is that they putt pretty well, and the feel isn't horrible with wedges. I got the double dozen for $20 hoping they would work out, but I gave away my remaining sleeves today because they aren't even worth 83 cents apiece for my game.

Dunlop Loco, Titleist SoLo

[Jul 01, 2004]
mwbcp4

This along with the Straight Distance is the best ball I've ever used. It's long, accurate, doesn't roll off of the green like most distance balls and putts well.

Everything.

[Jun 29, 2004]
elvisgolfs
Model Reviewed: Smart Core Professional Distance

Very good ball. Picked it up when I was in a budget pinch instead of my usual Maxfli Revo EXT and I'm switching until Wilson has sold these out. $19.99 for 24 balls! Found the ball to be longer than my Maxfli, decent (but not perfect) stopping power off the mid and short irons. Nice feel on all shots. My only complaint is the cover; I discarded 2 balls in a single round for excessive scuffing and the cart paths on that particular course were sand and gravel, not paved. For the money though... I'll keep 'em!

Maxfli Revolution EXT, Maxfli Noodle, Wilson True Distance, Precept Laddie, Titleist NXT

[Mar 16, 2004]
PCC
Model Reviewed: Wilson Smart Core Pro Distance

The others who wrote about these are right. These are sweet balls and an absolute steal at the current prices. They are way better than the "True" series of balls that replaced them. Long off the tee, very soft feel with irons and wedges, and soft feel on finesse shots. They don't spin that well on short wedge shots, inside 50 yards or so, but I play bump and run when I can and they are very predictable.

na

longer than any of the performance spin balls including ProV1. They are nearly as long as pure distance balls but are far more workable and feel better. If you want pure distance go with the SC Straight Distance...one of the longest balls out there.

[Aug 15, 2003]
jlaw04
Model Reviewed: Wilson Smartcore Pro Distance

Bought these after reading about them through this site. Nice ball with good distance and balanced putting. I thought I wanted to get more until I tried out some Strate Ultimates. I think the Wilson is longer, but the Strata spins more and is softer, which is appealing when the greens get firm. I've been scoring a 92 for the past 6 rounds, and this last round the Stratas took a couple strokes off my game. For the price I paid I'd get more Wilsons, but for a little more, especially through Ebay, I might step up to a better performer.

[Mar 05, 2003]
DA Villa
Model Reviewed: Wilson Smartcore Pro Distance

Tried this ball after finding one on the course. Played it side by side with my Tour Precept. Wilson outdrove it on every hole. Holds the green better stopping about a foot where it landed. Shot 78 with the Wilson ball and 83 with the Precept. Wilson ball more consistant.

Target?