Ben Hogan Apex Plus Irons

Ben Hogan Apex Plus Irons

From Ben Hogan Golf: "When Ben Hogan introduced the first forged, perimeter-weighted irons in 1989, he built the club some said, "couldn't be made." The "impossible" combination of perimeter-weighted forgiveness and forged feel. This experience, technology and innovation shapes the Ben Hogan Apex Plus. Many golfers have aspired to play a Ben Hogan Apex. Now, the perimeter-weighted Apex Plus provides an appreciably larger sweet spot across the face of the club, from heel to toe. Off-center hits will go longer, be more accurate and just happen to "feel" a lot better, too."

[Feb 22, 2010]
Tim Smith
Model Reviewed: 1999 Apex Plus

I have been using the Apex Plus irons for the past 10 years. I was thinking about buying a new set of forged of irons. I tried a set of Mizuno MP-52's. The Mizuno look like the Apex Plus, and felt like them? I can't see any reason to drop another $ 800.00 to get almost the same set of clubs I have!
The Hogan Apex are a great club for good players. The price is right and if you are looking to play a great forged iron I would try to get my hands on a set.

I have never had to use them in 10 years.

Mizuno MP-T Wedges

[Oct 26, 2009]
TK
Model Reviewed: Apex Plus Irons

Best club Ive ever played. Really good club, you cannot go wrong with this club.

[Aug 15, 2009]
Golf_Guy
Model Reviewed: Ben Hogan Apex Plus

I started playing these clubs about 4 months ago. Coming from the r7 graphite shafts to these s400 tru temper stiff was awesome. not only did my ballstriking improve but got distance. These clubs are great!

[Jul 13, 2009]
Christian LeMere
Scratch Golfer
Model Reviewed: Apex Plus

I recently bought the Apex Plus Hogan irons and they are by far the most forgiving muscle cavity iron that I have ever hit. I really enjoy playing with them and they are such a great price too! A combination like that cannot be passed up.

[Jun 01, 2009]
fader
Model Reviewed: Ben Hogan Apex Plus

Bought myself a new set after trying several sets of blades all of simular quality at my local golf shop. Great feel and distance with a bit of forgivness. A great club for the shot maker.

PGF Nagle ...late eighties

[May 22, 2009]
jrh291
Model Reviewed: Apex Plus

When this club was new I tested several clubs in simulators. These and Cleveland's TA1's were a full club longer than anything else I was hitting. I was forty-something and this seemed like it would help keep me competetive. A last minute deal on 1year old Apex blades saved me $600. It was a happy relationship for several years. When I replaced them for a custom fit Wishon set, things went South. I lost more than a club in distance-the custom fit clubs felt like pipe. The heads were beautiful and felt great after I reshafted them, weaker lofts, I'm thinking, was still costing me 15 yards or so.I persisted with them for a few years before deciding enough is enough-now a fifty-something. I found the Apex Plus's on Ebay, in crazy good condition for an 8 year old used set. They'd been extended 1 inch and regripped, odd since they were almost unused. I put them back near standard specs and now I have my forty-something distance back and maybe even a half club better, based on results of my first round with them. My hybrid is asleep in my basement as the long irons are so easy to hit. Only downside is the "4" flex. I need my good swing to load the shaft and all of it, too. Plan to reshaft in the "3" which should only add a little distance, but add some shotmaking options

Excellent conversation regarding upcoming reshaft by phone. We'll see how it pans out.

Apex blades, a couple of cast componenent sets and the Wishon 550's.

[May 14, 2009]
TheSniper
Model Reviewed: Ben Hogan Apex Plus

The Best clubs you will ever buy. But lets not get carried away, These clubs are for the better golfers who have their swing in check. So if your a high handicap players i suggest you play a more forgiving club than these. I have owned these for about 8 years. and I absolutely love them. the price is right and the feeling you get from well struck shot is pure heaven. these are long and accurate. I am not a fan od the sand wedge as it is heavier than what i like.
if you get a chance to buy these you will not be dissappointed. unless you are a high handicap trying to use these clubs.

[Dec 15, 2008]
mamoka
Scratch Golfer
Model Reviewed: 2007 Hogan Apex Plus

As the last post mentions, rumors abound that Callaway plans to discontinue the Ben Hogan line of clubs. That would be a hugh mistake on their part. The 2007 Apex Edge Plus iron is one of the best irons currently available on the market aimed for better players. It is every bit as good, if not better, than any better players Titleist, Mizuno, Nike, Ping, etc. Feedback is as good as it gets. Well-struck shots feel like the old Hogan forgings of years ago when Ben Hogan himself ran the company. Workability is as good as any club on the market. The overall weight and balance complement each other to allow the clubhead to be felt throughout the swing. The Apex 4 shaft (similar to - if not - a Royal Precision Lite shaft) plays as a "firm regular", yet is more responsive and ball-controlling than the True Temper Dynamic Golf 300 shaft or the Royal Precision Rifle Project X shaft. Quality of the ironhead itself compares to the best ironheads Japanese manufacture Miura has to offer. Hopefully, Callaway will "reinvent" the Ben Hogan brand so that sales will warrant its continuing production.

No contact with Customer Service.

Callaway X-Forged
Ping I5
Nike Blades
Ping S59
Cleveland CG2

[Oct 23, 2008]
Tee'd Off
Model Reviewed: Apex Edge Plus

Since Callaway's takeover of the Ben Hogan company I had a feeling they might discontinue the Hogan line of clubs. I have always wanted a set and made the plunge with the Apex Edge Plus. Firstly the feedback one gets with ones shots is great. These clubs force you to groove your swing. The feel of a crisply struck shot is pure Hogan....butter. These clubs also let you really work the ball on the course. They bring the shotmaker out in you! The over all feel is great and the clubs are very well 'balanced.' I will be playing these for many years to come.

Never used it

Cleveland TA5's (great irons for beginners)
Taylormade RAC

[Sep 24, 2008]
BRANDON
Model Reviewed: HOGAN APEX

WOW!!!! I HAVE HAD THESE IRONS SINCE 2004 AND LOVE THEM. WHEN YOU STEP UP TO THE FIRST TEE AT YOUR LOCAL CLUB OR SOMEWHERE NEW AND PEOPLE SEE THAT YOU ARE HITTING THESE IRONS, ITS KINDA INTIMIDATES EM' BECAUSE OF THIER SIZE. LEFT TO RIGHT, RIGHT TO LEFT, OR DOWN THE MIDDLE CAN BE ACOMMPLISHED WITH THESE BAD BOYS. THE ONLY COMPLAINT THAT I HAVE IS WITH THE MIS-HITS. YOU REALLY CAN TELL; HOWEVER, LIKE OTHERS IT HAS MADE ME A BETTER ALL AROUND PLAYER AFTER DIALING IN ON MY SWING.

NIKE PRO COMBO