Cleveland 588 Tour Action Wedges

588 Tour Action

lunchiebizzle   Shoots in the 100s [Jan 26, 2010]
Model Reviewed: Cleveland 588 Tour

I bought a Cleveland 54* and 60* 588 after upgrading my irons this winter. They feel great, only have had them at the driving range, but they have a superb feeling. I think they will help improve my short game immensely.

Bought them used off of 3balls.com and they sent me brand spankin' new clubs.

Similar Products Used: Cobra SS, Taylormade Burner
GoHuskers   Shoots in the 80s [May 09, 2009]
Model Reviewed: 588 47, 57 (RTG), 53 (Chrome)

I started playing with these wedges when I took the game up seriously 2 years ago. then I moved to 200 series Vokeys, followed by Mizuno MP series wedges.
Vokeys come in last. Feel OK, Spin OK, sole design very good.
Mizuno tie the 588's for best overall. Mizuno's feel the best by a long shot. Mizuno also have the lowest ball flight however they have the smallest sweet spot and don't impart that much spin.
TA 588's have a high ball flight and impart massive amounts of spin on the ball. Unfortunately they lack a soft feel and don't have that great of a sole design.
I like the TA 588 model because they impart massive spin on the ball. If you have a tendency to hit the ball thin than the high ball flight will help your game.
I don't like the feel compared to Vokeys and Mizzy's. I don't like the sole design that much either, its really easy to come in fat.
I love the price on these things, you can get these babies off Ebay for 25 dollars after shipping if you wait for a good auction.

chicagoben   Shoots in the 80s [Feb 20, 2009]
Model Reviewed: Cleveland 588 Tour

I bought the 64 degree wedge last spring to try to add dimension to game and was worried that I wouldn't get chances to use it. Boy was I wrong. This is one of the most versatile clubs I have ever used and it has totally revolutionized my short game. I can throw the ball way up in the air and stop it quickly, and because this club has almost no bounce, I can hit it confidently off of a tight lie as well as greenside rough.

I was concerned that the lack of bounce would make the club less useful out of thick rough or sand, but that has not been the case. I am pleasantly surprised that I can flop the ball out from greenside rough as well as use the club easily from medium to hard sand. Soft sand? More of a struggle due to the low bounce. But that's what my 56 degree (10 degree bounce) wedge is for.

The great thing about this wedge is that it allows me to hit a huge variety of shots without having to tinker excessively with my stance or grip. Those are 2 fewer variables to consider when standing over the shot and thus more mental energy that can be expended on executing it. My only regret is not having bought a high lofted wedge sooner.

golfawannabe   Shoots in the 90s [Sep 22, 2007]
Model Reviewed: 588 cleveland

after playing with the 51' and 64' i had to get another one because these wedges have changed my short game for the better. i don't get to use the 64' as much, but the 56' gets pulled out regularly from my bag. especially smooth and effortless out of the bunker. it seems that vokey (titleist in general)are more pricey and hence i went with the cleveland but have no regrets--apart from the tacky grip preferring cords even for the wedges. i now have a 60' lob and may part with the 64' gunmetal. i haven't tried any vokeys so to be fair i cannot compare. but at present my ignorance is bliss!!

nil needed

Similar Products Used: tzoid sand wedge
mikeyis009   Shoots in the 80s [Jun 03, 2007]
Model Reviewed: Tour Action Reg. 588 Gunmetal

I had a mental lapse about 2 months ago and left my Mizuno MpT 56 deg next to a sand trap. I went back after 2 holes to get it .... you know the rest.
I had a round planned for the next morning but I knew I'd have a bad round without my SW. I hit 90% of my chips with it. I opted to go to a Golf Show ,that was in town that weekend, early Sunday and get one. Guess which booth only had demo clubs but nothing for sale? That's right; Mizuno. Pretty dumb at a Golf Show where thousands of dollars are spent per hour. I walked right over to the Cleveland tent and left 5 minutes later with the 588. Great feel. Great spin. I hope I lose my 51 and 60 deg Mizunos soon.

In that Cleveland is smart enogh to have cliubs for sale at a golf show, I'd say GREAT customer service.

Similar Products Used: Adams Wedge set, Mizuno MpT 56
Headwich   Shoots in the 100s [Aug 25, 2005]
Model Reviewed: Cleveland reg 588 56º Chrome Sand Wedge

Won this off of Ebay as of recent. Put it to use ASAP, and am loving it. The weight is perfect, makes getting under the ball much easier. The weight just feels right to create a good tempo on those pitch shots. I've gotten my ball out of every kind of rough and sand bunker so far without any problems. Hitting the ball reminds of a sensation of marbles colliding. The contact is very soft, but you can feel how hard you hit the ball, and where you hit it, great feedback. I can lower or raise my trajectories on demand with this club, or choose to roll it further or make it stop on a dime. This wedge has madea big impression on me, and I will be getting a 60º lob wedge shortly.

NA - off of ebay

Similar Products Used: callway wedge
mgoldasich   Shoots in the 70s [Jul 06, 2005]
Model Reviewed: Cleveland Chrome 47, 51 & RTG 56, 60

Fantastic clubs. dont know why these club are the best. perhaps its the weighting and balance, but much more confidence in these than titleist or nike.

NA

Similar Products Used: Nike 56 Titleist Vokey 400 Series, 52, 56, 60
Dazza   Shoots in the 70s [Mar 19, 2005]
Model Reviewed: Cleveland Tour Action 588 RTG 56 degree S wedge

Just treated myself to a 56 degree RTG sand wedge - Couldn't never get on with the X14 wedge from my set and the old Haig Ultra blade I replaced it with is really due for retirement (it's 30 years old if it's a day). I did have a 51 degree RTG for a while and that had just begun to rust up nicely before I lost it and the feel on that club was lovely (lost it at Abbotsley GC during October 2004 and no-one handed it in to the club house - I hope whichever rotter has it has developed a case of the shanks - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE !!!). The feel that this new 56 degree wedge has is just as I remember it. This club has (I think) 14 degrees of bounce so is quite useless from tight grass lies but when I hopped into a bunker for some impromptue practice it was just great. The 588 is just one of those classic wedge shapes when its sat behind a ball. For my own personal preference I'd like to see a bit more of a rounded leading edge on a sand iron but that would be my only gripe about this club. I love the feel of the Cleveland grip and combined with the stiff flex shaft and the beautiful feel on the face of the club its easy to make great shots from close to the green. This club really rips into balls and puts loads of check on them. Will be great fun in the summer on receptive greens. I think this club would be a bit intimidating for the higher handicap players as its got quite a small head and the ground heel and toe profiles could lead to some set up issues, but for anyone who's serious about their short games these clubs are true winners. As good as the 200 series Titleist Vokey? I'd say so.

?